Supporting Cancer Research Funding
CR&T’s cancer research funding improves the treatment and quality of life of patients and advances the search for a cure. With your support and generous donations, our grants fund physician-scientists in their groundbreaking, cutting edge, cancer research and clinical trials.
How Your Donation to the Cancer Research and Treatment Fund, Inc. Directly Benefits Patients
As a nimble organization with an expert medical advisory board and no bureaucracy, we move quickly and effectively to fund promising new cancer treatments. Our board includes top basic science cancer researchers and clinical oncologists.
We believe that blood cancer research is a keystone which will help find a cure for all types of malignancies. This is why we have been emphasizing it for more than four decades.
The research initiatives that we support advance treatments and initiate cures for specific cancers, including breast cancer, lung cancer and blood cancers including lymphoma, leukemia, and myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs). We also lead the charge in using gene mapping to develop new, molecule-targeting agents that affect the genetic makeup of cancers and contribute to treatments that improve patient’s quality of life.
The innovative medical research our funding supports includes:
- Breakthrough advances in chronic myeloid leukemia treatment.
- New treatments for MPNs following the identification of the the new cancer marker JAK2.
- New chemotherapies for Hodgkin’s disease and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Using interferon alfa to treat polycythemia vera and other myeloproliferative neoplasms.
- Research to understand the basic biology of breast cancer, recurrence rates and common side effects of drugs used in treatment.
- Clinical trial findings that showed low copper levels could reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
- Scientific studies that analyzed the effects of essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera and secondary erythrocytosis on blood flow in the brain.
- Research that discovered the molecular mechanism that causes ibrutinib resistance in approximately one-third of mantle cell lymphoma patients.
Additionally, we are proud contributors to the Weill Cornell Medical College. With the generosity of our donors, we were a primary partner in the establishment of the Center for the Study of Leukemia and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. We also provided initial funding for its successor, the Richard T. Silver MD Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Center, named after our founder and renowned authority on clinical cancer research and medical oncology.
Get Involved with Cancer Research Funding
Since our organization’s founding in 1968, we have been committed to funding innovative cancer research initiatives. Our medical advisory board’s expertise and dedication to understanding and applying biological, pharmacological and molecular solutions for cancer treatment enable us to identify and fund the most promising research.
When you donate and support CR&T, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, your generosity directly impacts cancer research funding and the search for a cure. You can make a difference in the lives of cancer patients and help us advance our efforts by making a donation for cancer research or attending our annual Hall of Fame dinner. This event held in November each year honors inspiring cancer survivors and the medical professionals, researchers and humanitarians supporting the search for a cure.